Our family loves Dairy Queen’s ice cream cake, but having one requires forethought and the size requires a big chunk of freezer space. So, we created our own version that we can make quickly and fits well in the freezer.
ICE CREAM CAKE
1 boxed brownie mix (I prefer Betty Crocker with Hershey’s syrup) .
1 box (about 1/2 gallon) of chocolate ice cream.
1 box (about 1/2 gallon) of vanilla (white looks better than yellow) ice cream.
About 3/4 package of Oreo cookies, crushed (I use food processor).
1/3 – 1/2 cup Sundae syrup
1. Using a 9″ x 13″ treated pan, mix and bake brownie mix according to directions. Cool.
2. Reserve about 1/3 cup of crumbs. Mix the rest with enough sundae syrup to moisten and spread on top of brownie.
3. Completely open box of chocolate ice cream. At the long end, cut 3/4″ slices with a large straight knife (as you would cut a loaf of bread) and place in pan to fit.
4. Repeat step 3 with white ice cream.
5. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
6. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour before cutting.